Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Dispatch
Corinth | Dispatch | Osborne | Rose Valley
In late 1869 a group of Dutch-speaking settlers from Pella, Iowa, began taking homesteads along Oak Creek, in what is now northwestern Mitchell, northeastern Osborne, southeastern Smith, and southwestern Jewell counties, starting at the creek's confluence with the North Fork Solomon River and progressing northward. The next year a colony of settlers from Holland, Michigan, called the Rotterdam Colony, also arrived. In 1871 the Rotterdam Post Office was first established in northeastern Osborne County to service the growing community. Twenty years later this post office was later renamed Dispatch (after the way the mail was "dispatched" by horseback) and moved to a county road intersection on the Smith-Jewell County line that became the center of the Dispatch community.
Dispatch had at one time two stores and other businesses going. The post office was closed in 1891 and the Great Depression and subsequent World War II aided in the decline of the community. At present the Dutch Christian Reformed Church still operates at the site of Dispatch, and descendants of those first settlers living in the area still speak the Dutch language.
Information from Von Rothenberger
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
Daylight Saving Time
March 2014 Calendar
Women's History Month Display
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.