Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Dodge City
Amish Village | Bellefont | Bloom | Bucklin | Dodge City | Ford | Howell | Kingsdown | Lasker | Mexican Village | Spearville
Founded by civilian residents of Fort Dodge to provide supplies for buffalo hunters and the railroad, Dodge City became one of the most famous towns on the frontier. The Santa Fe Railroad had built its tracks to Dodge City by September 5, 1872, and the post office opened later in the month on the 23rd.
Originally set to be called Buffalo City, that name was turned down because there was a Buffalo Station in Kansas. Named for the fort nearby, Dodge City's days as "Queen of the Cowtowns" lasted until 1885 when the cattle trade died down. Merchants moved in with families and the 1880's were a boom period for the area.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Ford County Historical Society. Dodge City and Ford County, Kansas 1870-1920: Pioneer Histories and Stories.Dodge City, KS, 1996.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
June 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.