Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Dorrance
Dorrance | Dubuque | Russell
The Kansas Pacific Railroad, later the Union Pacific Railroad, had laid tracks to Russell County in June of 1867. The town of Dorrance was laid out in 1880, and it was named after the railroad superintendent.
The post office was established on July 9, 1883, with the name spelled as Dorrence; it was changed later in the year to Dorrance.
There is a strong religious heritage in the town and its area - the Methodist Church was established in February 1879, and the Catholic Church was established in December 1902. The Catholics had been attending services at the Wilson Lutheran Church before they got their own church.
The ethnicity of its settlers is not known.
Balloon Fair - 1908 - Dorrance, KS
Thielan Grain Company - 1908 - Dorrance, KS
Wheat Wagon - 1908 - Dorrance, KS
Forsyth Library Photo Archives
Reilly, Esther. "The Story of Dorrance, Kansas: Past...and Present." 1976.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
March 2014 Calendar
Spring Forward Sunday, Mar. 9th
Women's History Month Display
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.