Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Dubuque
Dorrance | Dubuque | Russell
Dubuque was first settled by Polish immigrants after the end of the Civil War. These immigrants came from Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin. Immigrants from German-Russian colonies in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Dubuque, Iowa came shortly afterwards.
The town became official in 1887, twelve years after a post office was established on February 17, 1879. As faithful Catholics, the townspeople built the first church about one mile south of the present St. Catherine Catholic Church in the early 1870's. The present structure was built in 1901.
There were only a few stores and the post during the 1920's when Dubuque began losing its people and its status as a trade center. The only remains of the town are the church and nearby cemetery.
Fitzgerald, Daniel. "Ghost Towns of Kansas." Vol. 3. Daniel Fitzgerald, 1982.
Fitzgerald, Daniel. "Ghost Towns of Kansas." Lawrence, KS : University Press of Kansas, 1988.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
May 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.