Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Dunkard Colony - Norton County
Almena | Calvert | Clayton | Dellvale | Densmore | Devises | Dunkard Colony | Edmund | Lenora | Leota | New Almelo | Norton | Oronoque | Rockwell City
A Dunkard Colony was organized by a group of Dunkards after they came to the area from Iowa. A Dunkard Church was organized in May 1879 by a group of people from Maple Grove, Iowa. These settlers were German Baptists, and the church was known as the Maple Grove Church. There was a division in the congregation around 1890 which resulted in a "progressive" congregation known as the Brethren and the old line Dunkards, who later became known as the Church of the Brethren. The latter group built a new church 1 1/2 miles from the old church in 1893.
Bowers, D. N. Seventy Years in Norton County, Kansas, 1872-1942. The Norton County Champion, Norton, Kansas, 1942.Nicholson, John H. A History of Norton County, Kansas. Masters Thesis, Colorado State College of Education, 1941.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Late Nights At The Library & Pack The Library
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.