Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Ellinwood
Albert | Claflin | Dundee | Ellinwood | Galatia | Great Bend | Heizer | Hoisington | Olmitz | Pawnee Rock
In the Fall of 1871, Arron Burlison erected a house just east of section 31 (which is now the town of Ellinwood, Kansas), and petitioned for a post office to be called Ellinwood. Captain John Ellinwood was a locating engineer for the A.T.S.F. railway and was camped on the Arkansas River at that time. The railroad reached Ellinwood in July of 1872, the town was platted and lots were put up for sale by the Arkansas Valley Town Company, owner of section 31.
Railroad agent C. B. Schmidt, who has been characterized as the ablest German immigration agent ever to do business in the state of Kansas, earmarked Ellinwood as a German colony. To attract the German speaking populace, Schmidt and the A.T.S.F. distributed brochures, printed in German, in every German-speaking community in the United States, as well as traveling to Europe over a dozen times to recruit and usher ships full of Germans to the United States and on to Kansas. The first settlers were English speaking but Schmidt's efforts soon paid off and Ellinwood was known as a German community for the next hundred years.
Main Street Ellinwood in 1873
Wolf Milling Company
German Lutheran Church
Information from Robert E. Yarmer
Various Authors. Biographical History of Barton County, Kansas. Great Bend: Great Bend Tribune, 1912.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
Daylight Saving Time
March 2014 Calendar
Women's History Month Display
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.