Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Ellis County - Other Colonies
Antonino | Catharine | Czech Colony | Ellis | Emmeram | Hartsook/Herzog | Hays | Munjor | Pfeifer | Schoenchen | Turkville | Victoria | Vincent | Walker | Yocemento
Volga GermansFort HaysOther Colonies
There were about 26 different colonies that came to Ellis County between 1870 and 1879. Some were from other countries or ethnic groups which is the focus of this page.
Irish cattlemen had a settlement along the Saline River north of Ellis that was started between 1870 and 1875.
A German colony from Philadelphia arrived in 1876 and settled south of Walker near Fort Fletcher and the Butterfield stage route.
A German group from Ohio also settled 3 miles south of Walker in 1876.
A black colony came via covered wagon from Lexington, Kentucky to Ellis where the men got work on the railroad. They later went to Nicodemus (Graham County), but returned to Ellis.
A colony from Luxembourg settled in the Pleasant Hill township in 1880.
A group of Englishmen arrived to live at the Cochran Ranch in north central Ellis County between 1882 and 1885.
A colony from Bukovina in the Austro-Hungarian Empire settled north of Ellis around this time. St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church was founded by some of these settlers - the building was built in 1898-1899.
A French colony, all members of the Royer family, settled south of Zurich (Rooks County) in Ellis County sometime before World War I. They came from Chateau-Thierry sur Marne which is east of Paris.
“At Home in Ellis County, Kansas 1867-1992.” Hays, KS: Ellis County Historical Society, 1991.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
May 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.