Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Englewood
Ashland | Englewood | Lexington | Sitka
Founded by Colonel C. D. Perry in 1884, Englewood was named after his hometown in Illinois. It was north of Five Mile Creek until 1907 when the town moved south of the creek because of an illegal money-making scheme and the failure to secure good titles to the lots in the old town. The new town soon had a good number of businesses such as hotels, pool halls, a barber shop, a jeweler, and a concrete block factory.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
"Ashland, Kansas: The Story of its First 100 Years". <Ashland, KS: Ashland History Book Committee, 1984>.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
March 2014 Calendar
Spring Forward Sunday, Mar. 9th
Women's History Month Display
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.