Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Galatia
Albert | Claflin | Dundee | Ellinwood | Galatia | Great Bend | Heizer | Hoisington | Olmitz | Pawnee Rock
Founded in 1885 by David C. Barrows who laid out the town site. It was called Four Corners, and when Henry G. Weber, who was from Galatia, Illinois, settled in the town, he renamed it Galatia.
The first building was a United Brethren church. The Santa Fe Railroad came through with its tracks in 1916, and for a short time, Galatia was growing with the addition of three grain elevators, a bank, a lumber yard, and three general stores. By 1921, the town's population was 202, but by 1980, the population was only 60.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Fitzgerald, Daniel. Faded Dreams: More Ghost Towns of Kansas. Lawrence, KS: University Press of Kansas, 1994.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.