Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Garfield
| Garfield | Larned | Rozel
Workmen for the Santa Fe Railroad established a supply station in the late summer of 1872 and named it Camp Criley for Capt. J. D. Criley who was the superintendent overseeing the construction. Members of an Ohio colony arrived at the camp after the workmen had moved on down the line.
An advance team of members of an Ohio colony had been sent to examine prospective properties in Kansas and Nebraska, and they decided on Camp Criley. These men filed on about 30 pieces land in January 1873, and the first settlers from the Ohio colony arrived at the camp site on March 15, 1873. The name of the town was changed to Garfield in honor of their congressman from their district in Ohio, James A. Garfield. Congressman Garfield later became President of the United States.
In the mid-1880's a colony of 65 Swedish families settled in Garfield.
By 1895, the population had grown to 450.
"Panorama of Progress: Pawnee County, 1872-1972". Supplement to The Tiller & Toiler. Larned, KS: The Tiller & Toiler, 1972.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
Friday: Makerspace Open House
March 2014 Calendar
Women's History Month Display
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.