Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Germantown
Athol | Bellaire | Cedarville | Claudell | Gaylord | Germantown | Harlan | Kensington | Lebanon | Old Salem | Reamsville | Smith Center |Home on the Range
H. H. Granholz, H. Menshoff, L. Bierman, J. Rider, and A. Aldredge were the first recorded German settlers in Smith County. In 1871, they settled on West Beaver Creek, and by the end of the year, there were more settlers that had arrived and started to make their homes in the area. A lot of them came by themselves, but settled near by fellow Germans.
A post office was established with the name of Germantown on December 18, 1871 with Frederick Wagner as the postmaster. It was discontinued on June 30, 1893.
Pletcher, Vera Edith Crosby. "A History of Smith County, Kansas to 1960". Masters thesis, Kansas State University, 1960.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Late Nights At The Library & Pack The Library
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.