Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Glade
Agra | Glade | Gretna | Kirwin | Logan | Long Island | Phillipsburg | Prairie View | Speed | Stuttgart | Woodruff
The town was laid out in 1878 under the name of Marvin which was the name of a lieutenant in the area watching for Indian troubles. It was platted as Marvin in the year 1883. Three other towns, Kildare, Chillicothe and Cowley, were also located near Marvin. Kildare was on the north-south road of the Ft. Hays-Ft. Kearney route, and Chillicothe was on the Pike's Peak road that ran north and south from Ft. Hays to Pikes Peak. All three towns eventually consolidated into Marvin. There were problems with the mail service to Marvin and Marion (another town in Kansas) due to the closeness of the spellings, so it was petitioned in 1908 to change the name of Marvin to another name. The name of Glade was picked, but the year when the name was changed is unknown. The town of Glade became incorporated in 1948.
Phillipsburg-Phillips County centennial, 1872-1972. Edited by Cecil B. Kingery. 1972
Spring Hours:Sun: 1:00 pm - 2:00 am Mon-Thurs: 7:30 am - 2:00 amFriday: 7:30 am - 7:00 pmSat: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
For current month(s) and detailed information, please select desired month under announcements (below).Phone: 785.628.4434Fax: 785.628.4096Contacts DirectoryMailing Address: Forsyth Library 600 Park Street Hays, KS 67601Physical Address: 502 South Campus Drive Hays, KS 67601-4099
April 2014 Calendar