Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Glen Elder
Asherville | Beloit | Blue Hill | Cawker City | Glen Elder | Hunter | Mennonite Community | Simpson | Tipton | Victor
This town was laid out and planned in 1871. When it was plotted in December 1872, its name was West Hampton. The name was changed to Glen Elder because of its location in a glen surrounded by box elder trees. When the town was incorporated in November 1879, its population was 275.
The first school was built in 1872 and by 1879, the Central Branch Railroad had come through with its rail lines.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Mitchell County Elementary Students. Mitchell County Historical Essays, 1962-1976. N.D.
Spring Hours:Sun: 1:00 pm - 2:00 am Mon-Thurs: 7:30 am - 2:00 amFriday: 7:30 am - 7:00 pmSat: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
For current month(s) and detailed information, please select desired month under announcements (below).Phone: 785.628.4434Fax: 785.628.4096Contacts DirectoryMailing Address: Forsyth Library 600 Park Street Hays, KS 67601Physical Address: 502 South Campus Drive Hays, KS 67601-4099
April 2014 Calendar