Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Grant County
Prentis, Noble Lovely. "History of Kansas". Winfield, KS: E. P. Greer, 1899.
Grant County, generally speaking is rather flat with the exception of Bear Creek. Bear Creek runs through the northwestern corner of the county. The south Cimarron runs through the southern part of the county, which is bordered by bluffs. The north fork of the Cimarron makes a bend near Ulysses and goes southeast.
The main movement of settlers into Grant County was in 1885, 1886, and 1887. Up to that time there were only three cattle ranches in the county; the Pig Pen ranch on the south fork of the Cimarron, the D.C. Sullivan ranch southwest of Ulysses, and the T-V ranch located near the Cimarron in the southeast part of the county. In the spring of 1885 the town of Ulysses was started and arrangements were made to organize the county. The settlers began to arrive and take claims here. In 1886 and 1887 the boom was on and every desirable quarter of land was filed on.
This web page has brief histories of the vanished towns in Grant County.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Historic Adobe MuseumP.O. Box 906Ulysses, KS 67880phone: (620) 356-3009 fax: (620) 356-5082
Information from the Historic Adobe Museum
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
March 2014 Calendar
Spring Forward Sunday, Mar. 9th
Women's History Month Display
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.