Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Great Bend
Albert | Claflin | Dundee | Ellinwood | Galatia | Great Bend | Heizer | Hoisington | Olmitz | Pawnee Rock
The Great Bend Town Company founded the town site of Great Bend in 1871. The town name was chosen because of the big bend of the Arkansas River at the site.
A hotel and several houses were built in 1871, and after the railroad came through in 1872, the town grew rapidly. Great Bend won the county seat after an election was held in the fall of 1871. Great Bend is the largest town in Barton County today.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Harrington, Marge, Compiler. Barton County: Golden Heartland of Kansas. Great Bend: Great Bend Tribune, 1996.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
Daylight Saving Time
March 2014 Calendar
Women's History Month Display
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.