Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Halstead
Burrton | Halstead | Hesston | Newton | North Newton | Sedgwick | Walton
The second city established in what was to be Harvey County, Halstead was laid out by the Halstead Town Company in early 1873. About 6 months earlier, John Sebastian, had laid out a town 1 1/2 miles east of the town company's site in the summer of 1872. The Halstead Town Company was formed to plan a rival town, and Sebastian's town never came to fruition.
The post office was established in 1873, and that same year, the schoolhouse was built and the first church was organized by the Methodists.
Home to the first flour mill in the county, which was built by Bernhard Warkentin, Halstead became home to some Mennonites who established a church there in 1875.
The town was named after Murat Halstead, who was a Civil War correspondent. The city was incorporated in March 1877.
The Halstead Hospital was founded by Dr. A. E. Hertzler, the "Horse and Buggy Doctor" who had written several best-selling books. The hospital was well renowned throughout the Midwest.
Halstead was the setting for the movie "Picnic" in the mid-1950's.
Buller Feed Mills
Smurr, Linda C. ed. Harvey County History. Texas: Curtis Media Corporation, 1990.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
Daylight Saving Time
Friday: Makerspace Open House
March 2014 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.