Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Hardtner
Hardtner | Hazelton | Hebron | Isabel | Kiowa | Lake City | Medicine Lodge | Sharon | Sun City
Mr. Jacob Achenbach purchased 6300 acres of land from Dr. John Hardtner in 1884, and it was land that he had been farming. Mr. Achenbach wanted to develop a new community in the area, so he advertised for others to come settle there. Once there were a number of settlers who had arrived, a town site company was formed in 1886. The company purchased 640 acres of land from Dr. Hardtner and laid the town site on that acreage.
The town was named for the doctor. A post office was established that same year, and Jacob Achenbach became the first postmaster. A railroad line was built from Kiowa in 1908.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Barber County History Committee. "The Chosen Land: A History of Barber County, Kansas."Dallas, TX: Taylor Publishing Company, 1980.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
June 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.