Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Haviland
Belvidere | Crescent Community | Greensburg | Haviland | Mullinville | Wellsford
The town was founded by Quakers and named for Laura Haviland who was very active in starting schools for indigent children. She was also active in helping fugitive slaves during the Civil War. Mrs. Haviland was never a resident of the town named after her.
The 30 acre plot of land that eventually became home to the town site was donated by R. D. Woodward, A. K. Kemp and John Falter. The Haviland Town Company was formed in May 1886, and a charter was filed on July 12, 1886.
Both the Santa Fe and the Rock Island Railroads built tracks through Haviland in 1887. The Santa Fe Railroad tore up its tracks and station some years later, much to the dismay of the citizens of the town. The post office was established in June 1886. The Friends built Haviland Academy in 1892 which eventually became what is now Barclay College.
"A History of Kiowa County 1880-1980: A Chronicle of Kiowa County written by Kith, Kin and Kind Friends". Lubbock, TX: Taylor Publishing Co., 1979.
Kansas State Library. "Haviland, Kansas." <http://skyways.lib.ks.us/towns/Haviland/>.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
June 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.