Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Hazelton
Hardtner | Hazelton | Hebron | Isabel | Kiowa | Lake City | Medicine Lodge | Sharon | Sun City
Founded in July 1883 by J. O. Hazelton and A. H. Peck who had camped in the area with their wives. They admired the beauty that was surrounding them and decided to begin a town. Town lots were set up, and soon settlers were residing on those lots. The town was named in honor of J. O. Hazelton.
Businesses included a lumber yard, grocery stores, a livery stable, a hotel and some banks. Many homes and businesses were moved into Oklahoma when the Cherokee Strip was opened, then on September 29, 1911, a fire destroyed many of the buildings on the north side of Main Street.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Barber County History Committee. "The Chosen Land: A History of Barber County, Kansas."Dallas, TX: Taylor Publishing Company, 1980.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Late Nights At The Library & Pack The Library
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.