Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Healy
Altamota | Amy | California | Dighton | Healy | Pendennis | Shields | Waterloo
The townships of White Rock, Wilson and Cheyenne voted to raise a $1600 bond for the Denver, Memphis and Atlantic Railroad Company in February 1887. By May, the railroad was building tracks five mile east of the White Rock store, and eventually the railroad had set up stations in Cheyenne Township (Healy), Wilson Township (Shields), and White Rock Township (Dennis).
The last town set up along the Missouri Pacific Railroad in the county was platted on August 20, 1887. Named for an official of the railroad, its post office was established on August 29, 1887. Healy soon became a bustling town with a general store, a boarding house, and a blacksmith shop among its businesses. By 1910, Healy's population was 174. It remains a vital part of Lane County today.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
"A Historical Record of Lane County, Founded June 3, 1886." Dighton, KS: Lane County Historical Society, 1961.
Stanley, Ellen May. "Early Lane County History: 12,000 B.C.-A.D. 1884". Newton, KS: Mennonite Press, 1993.
Stanley, Ellen May. "Early Lane County Development". Newton, KS: Mennonite Press, 1999.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
March 2014 Calendar
Spring Forward Sunday, Mar. 9th
Women's History Month Display
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.