Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Hill City
Bogue | Gettysburg | Hill City | Millbrook | Morland | Nicodemus | Penokee | Roscoe | St. Peter
W. R. Hill came to this area in 1876 and founded the town site which was named for him. Hill City was platted on June 16, 1879. After several elections for the county seat which Millbrook, 3 miles to the southwest, had won, Hill City won the right to be the county seat in an election held on March 16, 1888.
The railroad came through in late 1888 thanks to the efforts of J. C. Pomeroy, a Boston millionaire. Mr. Pomeroy started building the courthouse before the election and the county commissioners met for the first time in the new building on January 8, 1889.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Clary, Blossom and Ruth Siegrist. "Centennial Tid-Bits." Hill City, KS: Hill City Times, 1980.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
May 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.