Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Holyrood
Cain City | Ellsworth | Holyrood | Lorraine | Wilson | Essick Piece on Ellsworth County
Originally thought to be spelled Hollyrood, this town was founded by Canadians of Irish descent in 1876. The name was Holyrood by 1888. The story goes that a sign painter left off one L when painting the sign for the train depot.
"A History of Ellsworth County, Kansas". Compiled by Francis L. Wilson. Ellsworth, KS: Ellsworth County Historical Society, 1982.
Choitz, John F. "A History of Ellsworth County: 1854-1885." Masters Thesis, Fort Hays Kansas State College. 1967
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Late Nights At The Library & Pack The Library
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.