Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Hunter
Asherville | Beloit | Blue Hill | Cawker City | Glen Elder | Hunter | Mennonite Community | Simpson | Tipton | Victor
Hunter had been settled in the 1870's by settlers who built sod houses to live in. The town was named for Al Hunter, one of the original settlers, in 1880. A general store and a hardware store were among the businesses that were built.
In 1916, the Salina-Osborne Railroad was building a line through the county, and Old Hunter was about 4 miles from it. The townspeople moved the town site 4 miles west to be close to the rail line. (New) Hunter was organized as a third class city on January 9, 1919.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
"History of Hunter, Kansas and it's Surrounding Communities." Cawker City, KS: Cawker City Ledger, 1970.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Late Nights At The Library & Pack The Library
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.