Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Hutchinson
This town was founded by C. C. Hutchinson who had settled near Cow Creek in 1871. Mr. Hutchinson had played a role in getting the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad to build a line west of Halstead, instead of going south as was the original plan. Mr. Hutchinson platted the town site and began advertising the lots in late 1871.
In January 1872 a petition with 600 signatures (with many of them most likely false) was taken to Topeka to request that the legislature organize the new county. Hutchinson was named the county seat in February.
Hutchinson grew rapidly and had 1,500 residents by the summer of 1872. There were three lumberyards, several hotels, two general stores and a drug store.
The ethnicity of its settlers is now known.
Stucky, Tim. "Reno County: The Early Years." North Newton, KS: Mennonite Press, 1985.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Late Nights At The Library & Pack The Library
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.