Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Jaqua
Bird City | Jaqua | St. Francis
This town site was founded by brothers Ruben and Cassius (Cash) Jaqua who settled in the area in 1886. By February 1887, the land near the Colorado border had been surveyed and platted. The town was named Guy and the first application for the post office was for Tama. That application and the second application for the name Guy were both turned down by the postal system. In the meantime, expectations about the railroad coming through were fueling speculative ventures. A general store, a hotel and a newspaper were all established by the spring of 1887, and the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad had stakes set down within 10 miles of Guy. The town again sent a list of names to the Postal Department, and Cash Jaqua had written his name at the end of the list. The postal system decided on Jaqua, and in the spring of 1887, the Jaqua Townsite Company was formed.
The railroad never did come to Jaqua and the bad years of 1893-1894 prompted a number of settlers to leave the area. By 1918, when the post office closed its doors, the dream of Cassius Jaqua was gone.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Cheyenne County Historical Society, ed. "The History of Cheyenne County, Kansas" Published by the Curtis Media Corporation, 1987.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Late Nights At The Library & Pack The Library
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.