Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Jennings
Dresden | Jennings | Kanona | Norcatur | Oberlin
The Warren Jennings family came to the southern part of the county in 1873 from Iowa and homesteaded about a mile northeast of the present site of Jennings. They started the Slab City trading post, and a post office was established within the store on October 22, 1874. The trading post was used mainly by buffalo hunters, settlers, and even a few friendly Indians.
In 1879, the O. E. Munson family homesteaded the land on which the town of Jennings was founded. By 1888, the Rock Island Railroad came across the southeast corner of the county, and the town site was laid out. It was named for Warren Jennings. Houses were moved to Jennings from Allison, and citizens of Slab City also moved to Jennings. The railroad laid tracks through the town on May 16, 1888.
In April 1893, a group of settlers of Czech heritage came to the Big Timber area in Decatur County. Big Timber is a tributary of the Prairie Dog Creek.
Decatur County Historical Book Committee. "Decatur County Kansas". Lubbock, TX: Specialty Publishing Company, 1983.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Late Nights At The Library & Pack The Library
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.