Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Jerome
Alanthus | Buffalo Park | Campus | Gove | Grainfield | Grinnell | Jerome | Orion | Pyramid | Quinter | Teller | Hackberry Community - Plum Creek Community - Swedish Community
The town of Jerome was platted in 1887. It was located on the Smoky Hill River, twelve miles south of Gove and ten miles north of Shields in Jerome Township. The Town Company included Andrew Whitehair, his brother and C. E. Casley. The Whitehairs came from Jerome, Idaho and, therefore, called the new town Jerome.
In July 1886, the town had 2 general stores, a blacksmith shop, a restaurant, a livery stable, a newspaper, a hotel, a drugstore, and real estate office, and many dwellings. The post office was established in 1886.
Jerome had a newspaper that started in 1887 called "The Smoky Hill Globe". The first school at Jerome was District No. 13, organized in 1887. The Wesleyan Methodists and the Methodist Episcopalians met at different times in the schoolhouse.
Jerome was a large community until the establishment of the Gove County Aerial Gunnery Range. The government took over in 1943, and the people had to move out and the buildings were sold.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Gove County Historical MuseumThey used the following sources in writing this information.
"History and Heritage of Gove County". Gove County Historical Museum.
Harrington, W. P. "History of Gove County, Kansas".
Spring Hours:Sun: 1:00 pm - 2:00 am Mon-Thurs: 7:30 am - 2:00 amFriday: 7:30 am - 7:00 pmSat: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
For current month(s) and detailed information, please select desired month under announcements (below).Phone: 785.628.4434Fax: 785.628.4096Contacts DirectoryMailing Address: Forsyth Library 600 Park Street Hays, KS 67601Physical Address: 502 South Campus Drive Hays, KS 67601-4099
April 2014 Calendar