Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Kanona
Dresden | Jennings | Kanona | Norcatur | Oberlin
Founded as a post office on September 13, 1881, it was called Altory. Anselmo B. Smith platted the town site, located 10 miles of Oberlin, in 1885 and called it Kanona. The town had a hardware store, a barbershop, two general stores, and a hotel. By 1910, the population was 125. By 1920, Kanona was a shipping point along the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad line. A stockyard and two elevators were built near the tracks.
Several fires in the 1920's destroyed several of the businesses, and a tornado in 1949 damaged the school, lumberyard, and many other buildings in town. Today there is not much left of the town.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Fitzgerald, Daniel. Faded Dreams: More Ghost Towns of Kansas." Lawrence, KS: University Press of Kansas, 1994.
"Kansas: A cyclopedia of state history, embracing events, institutions, industries, counties, cities, towns, prominent persons, etc." Chicago: Standard Publishing Company, 1912.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
March 2014 Calendar
Spring Forward Sunday, Mar. 9th
Women's History Month Display
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.