Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Kendall
| Kendall | Syracuse
Originally known as Aubrey (an old fort named Aubrey was located nearby - it lasted about 1 year), the town of Kendall began as a railroad stop. Five people settled here in 1879 and founded a trading post. A post office opened the same year and had the name of Zamora in the town of Aubrey. In 1885, the name was changed to Kendall for both the town and the post office.
The Arkansas Valley and Land Company platted the town in 1885 and it grew from 10 houses to 200 houses in 4 months. Kendall became a temporary county seat after an election in 1886, but after a long drawn out county seat war that lasted until late 1888, Kendall was no longer a contender for the county seat.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
"Hamilton County, History". Syracuse, KS: Hamilton County Historical Society, 1979.
Spring Hours:Sun: 1:00 pm - 2:00 am Mon-Thurs: 7:30 am - 2:00 amFriday: 7:30 am - 7:00 pmSat: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
For current month(s) and detailed information, please select desired month under announcements (below).Phone: 785.628.4434Fax: 785.628.4096Contacts DirectoryMailing Address: Forsyth Library 600 Park Street Hays, KS 67601Physical Address: 502 South Campus Drive Hays, KS 67601-4099
April 2014 Calendar