Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Kingman County
Basil / Gage | Belmont | Cleveland | Cunningham | Kingman | Murdock | Nashville | Norwich | Penalosa | Rago | Spivey | Waterloo | Willowdale | Zenda
Peketon County was created by the Kansas Legislature on February 21, 1860. This county was huge, as its boundaries encompassed one fourth of the state. It became defunct on February 26, 1867 when it was attached to Marion County.
Harper and Reno Counties were created out of Marion County in 1868 by the Kansas Legislature. In January 1872, three tiers of townships on the south side of Reno County were detached to become Kingman County, and Harper County's north tier of townships were attached to Kingman County. Governor Thomas A. Osborn organized the county on February 27, 1874.
The county is named for Samuel A. Kingman who had served as Chief Justice of the State Supreme Court.
The Nashville area was settled by German Lutherans who built the first Lutheran church in town.
"Kingman County History: Kingman County, Kansas and Its People." Kingman, KS: Kingman County Historical Society, 1984.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
May 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.