Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Kingman
/ Gage | Belmont | Cleveland | Cunningham | Kingman | Murdock | Nashville | Norwich | Penalosa | Rago | Spivey | Waterloo |
Willowdale | Zenda
A man from Reno County, J. H. Fical, moved his house from there to the north side of the Ninnescah River in Kingman County. Sherman was the name of the town that was started at that site, and it was later changed to Kingman. The town was laid out in 1874 by J. H. Fical and his brother. The Sherman Hotel was built in 1874, and a store, a school and some houses were also built in that time frame.
By 1878, a town had been started on the south side of the river, and many Kingman residents and the post had moved there. Rivalry between the two towns prompted many hard feelings, but after about a year of dealing with the unfavorable conditions, buildings were moved back to the north side.
The first railroad came through in June 1884. After rock salt was discovered in 1887, the town grew to accommodate the new residents of the boom-town.
There was a period of hard times because of weather (drought) and an invasion of grasshoppers. The people hung in there during these times, and the situation became much better in the early 1900's. Kingman is the county seat.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
"Kingman County History: Kingman County, Kansas and Its People." Kingman, KS: Kingman County Historical Society, 1984.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
March 2014 Calendar
Spring Forward Sunday, Mar. 9th
Women's History Month Display
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.