Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Kingsdown
Amish Village | Bellefont | Bloom | Bucklin | Dodge City | Ford | Howell | Kingsdown | Lasker | Mexican Village | Spearville
James A. Fishback, a settler in the area deeded part of his land to the Rock Island Railroad on April 13, 1887, and on May 13, sold another part of his land to the South Ark (Arkansas) Valley Town Company. Settlers from the east came to this area and it was called Kingsdown. The name came from the "downs" in England. Downs are open grasslands, and as one story goes, an English homesteader was heard to say that the prairies reminded him of the King's Down.
The Rock Island Railroad built a roundhouse, a depot and section houses in Kingsdown during 1887-1888. But because of bad economic times, the railroad had left and the land was sold for taxes by 1898. The railroad came back in 1910 after new businesses that had started were doing well and houses were being built. A new depot was built later that year and the railroad stayed until the depot was closed in 1968.
The ethnicity of its settlers is most likely English.
Ford County Historical Society. Dodge City and Ford County, Kansas 1870-1920: Pioneer Histories and Stories.Dodge City, KS, 1996.
Spring Hours:Sun: 1:00 pm - 2:00 am Mon-Thurs: 7:30 am - 2:00 amFriday: 7:30 am - 7:00 pmSat: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
For current month(s) and detailed information, please select desired month under announcements (below).Phone: 785.628.4434Fax: 785.628.4096Contacts DirectoryMailing Address: Forsyth Library 600 Park Street Hays, KS 67601Physical Address: 502 South Campus Drive Hays, KS 67601-4099
April 2014 Calendar