Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Kirwin
Agra | Glade | Gretna | Kirwin | Logan | Long Island | Phillipsburg | Prairie View | Speed | Stuttgart | Woodruff
The Kirwin Town Company formed in June 1871 which made Kirwin the first permanent settlement in the county. It was named for a nearby stockade call Camp Kirwan which was commanded by Colonel John S. Kirwan of the 1st U.S. Cavalry. The stockade was used to protect travelers on the California Trail shortly after the Civil War ended. The land where Kirwin eventually was founded was the first to be settled in the area. It became the biggest town in the county, but soon lost that distinction to Phillipsburg.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Phillipsburg-Phillips County centennial, 1872-1972. Edited by Cecil B. Kingery. 1972.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
May 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.