Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Lenora
Almena | Calvert | Clayton | Dellvale | Densmore | Devises | Dunkard Colony | Edmund | Lenora | Leota | New Almelo | Norton | Oronoque | Rockwell City
Originally named Spring City, this town was formed in 1874. The name changed to Lenora in 1876, because their post office, located two miles west, was named Lenora. The town was platted on June 28, 1879. James Gilleece, born in Ireland in 1834, settled in the area west of Lenora with his wife, Mary Dunlap Gilleece in 1873. The James Dunlap family also settled there. These two families were among the first settlers in this area.
The ethnicity of its settlers included the Irish.
Bowers, D. N. Seventy Years in Norton County, Kansas, 1872-1942. The Norton County Champion, Norton, Kansas, 1942.Nicholson, John H. A History of Norton County, Kansas. Masters Thesis, Colorado State College of Education, 1941.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
March 2014 Calendar
Spring Forward Sunday, Mar. 9th
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.