Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Logan
Agra | Glade | Gretna | Kirwin | Logan | Long Island | Phillipsburg | Prairie View | Speed | Stuttgart | Woodruff
Settlers first came to this location on the northern banks of the Solomon River in 1870. The area was briefly called Deeversville. D. G. Hoover, one of the first settlers, renamed the town on June 2, 1873 to Logan after his army commander from Illinois, General John A. Logan. Little progress was made in the town during the first few years, but in 1878 several business men settled in the area. Logan soon became an enterprising town with flour and sorghum mills, along with other businesses such as general stores, hotels, and a bank.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Phillipsburg-Phillips County centennial, 1872-1972. Edited by Cecil B. Kingery. 1972.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Late Nights At The Library & Pack The Library
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.