Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Long Island
Agra | Glade | Gretna | Kirwin | Logan | Long Island | Phillipsburg | Prairie View | Speed | Stuttgart | Woodruff
This settlement is located in the middle of an 8 mile long valley with Prairie Dog Creek to the south and Elk Creek to the north. The story is that the Indians named the area Long Island because of the land being between two bodies of water. Some of the first settlers came in 1869. By 1873 many families had settled in the area. In 1885, the town was moved to be on the railroad, and it prospered for many years at that location.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Phillipsburg-Phillips County centennial, 1872-1972. Edited by Cecil B. Kingery. 1972.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
May 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.