Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Lorraine
Cain City | Ellsworth | Holyrood | Lorraine | Wilson | Essick Piece on Ellsworth County
This town site was founded by Professor E. C. Janzen and Henry Strassen of illinois. Mr. Janzen saw his dream of starting a German Baptist colony become reality in 1877. They signed an agreement with the Kansas Pacific Railroad that reserved about 11,500 acres for the colony. They had until March 31, 1877 to sell 10 sections and were able to make that deadline. The railroad donated 80 acres to be set aside for church purposes.
The first stone church was built in 1879, and a larger frame church replaced it in later years.
"A History of Ellsworth County, Kansas". Compiled by Francis L. Wilson. Ellsworth, KS: Ellsworth County Historical Society, 1982.
Choitz, John F. "A History of Ellsworth County: 1854-1885." Masters Thesis, Fort Hays Kansas State College. 1967
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Late Nights At The Library & Pack The Library
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.