Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Ludell
Achilles | Atwood | Blakeman | Herndon | Ludell | McDonald
Established first as a post office named Prag in 1876 by A. C. Blume, it became Kelso City after the Kelso brothers opened a store in the area on June 3, 1879. It was also known as Danube in 1880-1881 when the Kelso brothers moved to Atwood. William H. Dimmick laid out the town site and named it for his daughter, Luella, and on May 9, 1881, the name was changed to Ludell.
The Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad built tracks through the town, and Ludell benefited from being a major shipping point in the area. Merchants did well and the town blossomed until the 1930's when the Great Depression occurred. Gradually the town declined during the years following the depression.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Hayden, Ruth Kelley. "The Time That Was: The Courageous Acts and Accounts of Rawlins County, Kansas, 1875-1915". H.F.Davis Memorial Library, Colby Community College, Colby, KS, 1973.
"History of Rawlins County, Kansas". Rawlins County Genealogical Society, 1988.
Fitzgerald, Daniel. "Faded Dreams: More Ghost Towns of Kansas.". University Press of Kansas, 1994.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.