Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Lyons
Alden | Chase | Geneseo | Little RIver | Lyons | Raymond | Sterling
Atlanta was laid out in December 1870, and construction of the buildings began the following spring. In April 1876, Atlanta, Peace (now Sterling), and an area in the exact geographical center which was just prairie vied for the county seat in an election. The bare prairie, located a mile and a half north of Atlanta, won the majority of votes! So the folks at Atlanta moved their buildings to the land which had previously belonged to "Hod" Williston who sold it to Truman J. Lyon. Mr. Lyon started the town site and sold lots in the new county seat which was now called Lyons.
The Atlanta Post Office was moved on July 1, 1876 and the town started seeing growth in that first year. The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad finally arrived in Lyons in June 1880.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Jones, Horace. "The Story of Early Rice County." Wichita, KS: Wichita Eagle Press, 1928.
"Rice County Centennial: Land of Quivira." Rice County Centennial Committee, 1971.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
Friday: Makerspace Open House
March 2014 Calendar
Women's History Month Display
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.