Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Millbrook
Bogue | Gettysburg | Hill City | Millbrook | Morland | Nicodemus | Penokee | Roscoe | St. Peter
Located about three miles southwest of Hill City, Millbrook was platted on April 8, 1879 by a homesteader named N. C. Terrell. He owned the general store that was established in the fall of 1878. Millbrook was named the temporary county seat on April 1, 1880 by Governor John P. St. John, and it retained the county seat following an election in June. The choices were Millbrook, Gettysburg, Hill City and Roscoe. Another election was held in July 1881 and Millbrook got 473 votes to Gettysburg's 349; shortly thereafter people started leaving Gettysburg to move to Millbrook.
A tornado (or cyclone as it was known in those days) hit the town on August 4, 1887 and basically wiped it out. Hill City then decided to take advantage of the downfall of Millbrook to bring the county seat to them. The voters in the election held on March 6, 1888 decided that Hill City would become the county seat. The Millbrook post office was discontinued on August 15, 1889 and moved to Hill City.
By 1895, an act of the Kansas Legislature vacated the town sites of Roscoe, Gettysburg, and Millbrook.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Clary, Blossom and Ruth Siegrist. "Centennial Tid-Bits." Hill City, KS: Hill City Times, 1980.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
Daylight Saving Time
Friday: Makerspace Open House
March 2014 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.