Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Montefiero
Montefiero | Natrona
The Montefiero Agricultural Aid Society, located in New York, founded the colony of Montefiero in 1884. It was located in the Mount Nebo neighborhood of Pratt County 6 to 8 miles south and east of Cullison.
The colony started out with 15 Jewish families from Russia who arrived in the area in March of 1884. That fall they gathered their first harvest, and a schoolhouse and a sod synagogue had been built.
Within the first year the colonists came to terms with the fact there was not much timber in the area, and due to a lack of measurable rainfall, little water was available. The colony disbanded in 1885 and some colonists went back east to New Jersey, and the rest went to Lasker in Ford County.
Jewish Colonies in Kansas set up by Agricultural Aid SocietiesBeersheba (Hodgeman) | Gilead (Comanche) | Hebron (Barber) | Lasker (Ford) | Leeser (Finney) | Montefiore (Pratt) | Touro (Kearny)
Douglas, Donald M. "Forgotten Zions: Jewish Agricultural Colonies in Kansas in the 1880's." Kansas History 16 (Summer 1993): 108-119.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
May 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.