Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Morland
Bogue | Gettysburg | Hill City | Millbrook | Morland | Nicodemus | Penokee | Roscoe | St. Peter
The town site was platted on April 18, 1890 and named Fremont, presumably for the famous explorer, John C. Fremont. A post office in the area was established in May 1881. The plat of Fremont was filed on October 17, 1884 by J. B. Smith who said he was the founder. David C. Kay was also a founder. It was considered a government town site and people would get their land at no cost, and as a result, there was a period of rapid growth.
A bond issue was voted on for a railroad in May 1888, and the majority of the people voted in favor of it. In August, the railroad changed the town's name to Kalula, but the post office remained as Fremont. The first train came through in October 1888. By 1890, Fremont was no longer a government town site, so the town was surveyed and platted. The residents never liked the name of Kalula, so in April 1892, the name of both the town and the post office was changed to Morland.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
"A Centennial History of Morland and Community - February 24, 1881 to February 24, 1981." 1981.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
June 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.