Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Orion
Alanthus | Buffalo Park | Campus | Gove | Grainfield | Grinnell | Jerome | Orion | Pyramid | Quinter | Teller | Hackberry Community - Plum Creek Community - Swedish Community
The town of Orion was never a platted town. It was located 12 miles west of Gove City and centered around crossroads at that location. Orion was named after a schoolteacher, Justin Orion McBurney, who taught at the Orion School in District No. 22. The district was organized in 1887. The Methodist Church was built in 1898 in Orion. The Post Office was established in 1901. Orion had a large two-story building that housed a large store and the Post Office. The Lutherans held services in the second story of the building on Sundays. Gaeland Township was formed in 1903. Because Orion was located in Gaeland Township, the cemetery was named Gaeland Cemetery. Orion has since ceased as a community center. The cemetery and a few buildings still remain.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Gove County Historical MuseumThey used the following sources in writing this information.
"History and Heritage of Gove County". Gove County Historical Museum.
Harrington, W. P. "History of Gove County, Kansas".
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
May 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.