Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Park's Fort
Banner | Bosna | Buckeye | Collyer | Coyote | Cyrus | Gibson | Mendota | Ogallah | Park's Fort | Schreader | Smytheville | Stockrange | Trego | Trego Center | Trego Station | Tregola | Valley | Voda | WaKeeney | Willcox
Established as a fort to protect railroad workers from Indian attacks, Park’s Fort was named after Thomas Parks who was killed by Indians on June 18, 1867. Although no buildings existed at this tent encampment, the Union Pacific Railroad did establish a pumping station there.The fort was east of WaKeeney two miles.Established in 1871, the post office closed in 1872, only to be reopened in May of 1874. Moving to Trego, it closed a few months later in November of that year.The ethnicity of those at Park’s Fort remains unknown.
Baker, Mrs. Walter. “History of WaKeeney & Trego County and the Coming of the William George Baker Family from Aurora, Illinois to WaKeeney, Kansas in 1878.” Chap. in Local History as Presented to the Trego County Historical Society. 2d ed. n.p. 1974.
Kroeger, Nadine. Interview by author. Forsyth Library. Hays, KS. 6 September 2002.
“Park’s Fort.” Dwayne Scott. Exhibit at the Trego County Historical Society. WaKeeney, KS.
Purinton, Mrs. Ray. “History of Collyer, Kansas.” Chap. in Local History as Presented to the Trego County Historical Society. n.p. 1973.
Shearer, Ruth. “Ghost Towns in Trego County.” Chap. in Local History as Presented to the Trego County Historical Society. 2d ed. n.p. 1974.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
Daylight Saving Time
March 2014 Calendar
Women's History Month Display
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.