Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Pence
Grigston | Manning | Modoc | Painter City | Pence | Scott City | Shallow Water | Zenobia
This town site was platted on October 27, 1886 with the hopes that the Missouri Pacific Railroad would build its tracks westward through the area. However, the tracks were angled southward towards Scott City from Healy. It did become a thriving town with various businesses such as a livery stable, a hotel, a bank, a church and a newspaper. On June 3, 1915, the Pence Church and the town were destroyed by a tornado.
The ethnicity of its settlers is not known.
History of Early Scott County by the Scott County Historical Society, Inc., 1977Scott County, Kansas Centennial Book - Celebrating 100 Years: 1886-1986 by the Scott County Centennial Commission, Inc., 1986
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
Daylight Saving Time
March 2014 Calendar
Women's History Month Display
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.