Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Rago
/ Gage | Belmont | Cleveland | Cunningham | Kingman | Murdock | Nashville | Norwich | Penalosa | Rago | Spivey | Waterloo |
Willowdale | Zenda
The Rago Trading Post was established in early 1883 at a location two miles east and four miles south of the present town site. In September 1883, it moved four miles north where a post office was then established. The town site was platted in 1886 and its location was two and one-half miles west of the trading post.
Several businesses were built, and the post offices from Old Rago, Trento, and Pitt were moved to the new town site in 1887. They thought it would be an ideal site for the Hutchinson and Southern Railroad to build tracks to, but the tracks were built one-half mile east. The town moved, once again, in 1900 and has stayed in that location.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
"Kingman County History: Kingman County, Kansas and Its People." Kingman, KS: Kingman County Historical Society, 1984.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
June 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.