Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Rice County
Alden | Chase | Geneseo | Little RIver | Lyons | Raymond | Sterling
Prentis, Noble Lovely. "History of Kansas". Winfield, KS: E. P. Greer, 1899.
The area that was to become Rice County was part of the Santa Fe Trail. About 30 miles of the 800 mile trail crossed the mid-section of the county. There were four stopping points along the trail with the most used point probably being Cow Creek. The trail from Cow Creek on west to Dodge City was considered to be very dangerous, so troops were stationed at Cow Creek.
Even before the Kansas Territory became a state in 1861, there was an attempt to create a county that was called Peketon County by the 12 men who met on November 6, 1960. The county seat was named Beach Valley in honor of Beach's trading post. A post office was established at Beach Valley, but the town (and the county) never really took off and just faded away.
The legislature set aside an area in 1868 for the purpose of establishing a county. The Atlanta Town Company was formed to set up a town in the center of the proposed county. The Santa Fe Trail was its Main Street and the Santa Fe railroad had proposed that a line would be built through the town.
Governor J.M. Harvey organized Rice County on August 18, 1871. Rice County was named in honor of General Samuel A. Rice who was killed in the Battle of Jenkins Ferry during the Civil War. Atlanta, later renamed Lyons, was selected as the county seat.
"Rice County Centennial: Land of Quivira." Rice County Centennial Committee, 1971.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.