Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Rockwell City
Almena | Calvert | Clayton | Dellvale | Densmore | Devises | Dunkard Colony | Edmund | Lenora | Leota | New Almelo | Norton | Oronoque | Rockwell City
This town site was laid out and platted by Dr. William Rockwell in 1884. It was located in what was known as the Dunkard Colony. (Click here for more on the Dunkard Colony.) Dr. Rockwell built a general merchandise store hoping that it would draw settlers to the town site. However, Dr. Rockwell died in September 1884, and in the spring of 1885, the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad built its tracks to the south. Mrs. Rockwell moved the store established by her husband from Rockwell to Norcatur (just inside the Decatur county line) after seeing that the town was not going to become the town that her husband had envisioned. Rockwell City was soon abandoned.
Bowers, D. N. Seventy Years in Norton County, Kansas, 1872-1942. The Norton County Champion, Norton, Kansas, 1942.Nicholson, John H. A History of Norton County, Kansas. Masters Thesis, Colorado State College of Education, 1941.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.