Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Rozel
| Garfield | Larned | Rozel
The town of Rozel is located on land that was deed by the Santa Fe Railroad on July 19, 1886, to the Arkansas Valley Town and Land Company. The town's name came from Rozella, the daughter of a founder of the Land Company.
The town had 2 grocery stores, a drug store, a lumber yard, a livery stable, a restaurant, and a dry goods store by 1910. The first post office, known as Keysville, was established in 1870. It was changed to Ben Wade in 1880.
Rozel's business district was destroyed by fire on September 24, 1929. It was rebuilt only to be nearly destroyed again, this time by hail and a tornado on May 20, 1949. This storm also damaged or destroyed almost all of the buildings in town.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
"Panorama of Progress: Pawnee County, 1872-1972". Supplement to The Tiller & Toiler. Larned, KS: The Tiller & Toiler, 1972.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.