Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Scott City
Grigston | Manning | Modoc | Painter City | Pence | Scott City | Shallow Water | Zenobia
Three men and a woman began the Town Company and laid out a town site by March of 1885. Mrs. DeGeer, Mr. Swan, Mr. McLain and Mr. Case each donated 40 acres to begin the town site which was known as Scott Centre. It later became Scott and finally became known as Scott City in 1913.
The Town Company filed a charter on September 11, 1885. More than 50 buildings were built in the 90 days afterwards. The Town Company offered a free lot to anyone that would build on it. They also donated lots for the first church in Scott City to be built; the Methodist Church was built in 1886. By 1902, Scott City had a bank, four general stores, a high school, a drug store, a lumber yard, an opera house and several churches, along with the Missouri Pacific and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe rail lines.
The ethnicity of its settlers is not known.
History of Early Scott County by the Scott County Historical Society, Inc., 1977Scott County, Kansas Centennial Book - Celebrating 100 Years: 1886-1986 by the Scott County Centennial Commission, Inc., 1986.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
June 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.